Y'all come on in!

Y'all come on in!

Sunday, June 21, 2015

German Chocolate Cake

So here it is recipe Sunday again. Before I type another word...Happy Father's Day to all the awesome fathers out there. My mother was a single mama back in the early 50's and raised us three children alone for many years. I always gave her a present on Mother's Day but on Father's Day I called her and wished her a Happy Father's Day and to tell her I loved her because she had to be both mother and father to us kids for so long. I think she liked that phone call as much as the Mother's Day candy or flowers or whatever I bought her through the years.

Now onto the recipe Sunday...my two sisters-in-law and I were sitting on the front porch talking about recipes last week and one of them mentioned this being their favorite cake but it had to be made from scratch. It's my daughter's choice every year for her birthday cake and there's never a crumb left at the end of the day.

What's your favorite cake? What do you always wish for on your birthday? Remember I'll choose a winner tonight from the comments on this post and the followers. Yesterday's winner was Tracey Parker who has won a signed book and a little bag of swag! Spread the news...tell your buddies and your friends. The more the merrier and the more fun it will be. Feel free to share a recipe in your comments if you have a favorite! If you haven't become a follower, then dive right in...we're a friendly bunch here at A Little Sweet Tea and Sass...
 
German Chocolate Cake (from scratch)

1 (4 oz.) pkg. Baker's German sweet chocolate
1/2 c. boiling water
1 c. butter
2 c. sugar
4 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 c. cake flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. buttermilk
4 egg whites, stiffly beaten

Melt chocolate in boiling water; cool. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add yolks, beating well after each. Blend in vanilla and chocolate.

Sift flour with soda and salt. Add dry mixture alternately with buttermilk, mixing well after each addition. Fold in beaten egg whites.

Pour into 3 prepared cake pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

FROSTING:

3 egg yolks
1 c. evaporated milk
1 c. sugar
1 tbsp. butter
1 1/2 c. flaked coconut
1 c. chopped pecans
1 tsp. vanilla

Beat eggs, milk, sugar, and butter. Cook over medium heat for about 12 minutes, stirring until mixture thickens. Remove from heat; add coconut, pecans, and vanilla. Beat until cool and of spreading consistency. Frost between layers, top, and sides.

 

9 comments:

  1. This is Father's Day and the only cake my Dad will eat is Chocolate Cake! I love German Chocolate cake too! Wish I had thought of this one for today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Father's Day!
    My favorite cake is Chocolate Cake,yummy :D
    Thanks for the recipe,sounds delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I like Marble cake with whipped topping. Tried German chocolate once, couldn't get into it, but I know my hubby likes it.....and I always wish for money for my bday wish

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite is good ole chocolate cake but with cream cheese icing and chocolate shavings on top. And now I am hungry for just that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lord it has been forever and a day since I made a German Chocolate Cake it is one of my favorites. Homemade cheese cake is as well I will be making one later on today I can't wait. I have also found a recipe for ice cream cake like DQ makes now that is my all time favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds delicious! I'll have to add this one to my list of things to make.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love anything with coconut! Especially coconut cake! But I am not limited to that, I like coconut ice cream, mounds bars, anything with coconut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love anything chocolate, but my favorite cake is a good red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting. It has to be from scratch because boxed cakes just aren't the same. My granny sure could make a good one! Happy Father's Day to all the dads. You and I have a lot in common Carolyn. My dad left when I was 6 months old and mom and my grandparents raised me. My grandpa was my father figure most of my life. Lord I sure miss him.

      Delete
  8. This has been and I think always will be my favorite cake! :)

    ReplyDelete