So Mama, this one is for you and please know that I still miss you, your cooking, your positive attitude and all the love you showered on us.
CHOCOLATE CHIP STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKES
- 3 cups fresh sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. cold butter
- 2/3 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Whipping Cream
- 1-1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp. powdered sugar
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 16 minutes
- Total Time: 36 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 strawberry shortcakes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Combine sliced strawberries with 3 Tbsp. sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, remaining 3 Tbsp. of sugar and salt. With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles pea-sized crumbs. Make a well in the center. Add half and half. Mix with a fork until a dough forms. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly-floured surface. Knead a few times with your hands. Pat dough into a large circle, 3/4-inch thick. Use a 3" biscuit cutter to cut dough into circles. Place on a baking sheet. Bake 12-16 minutes, until shortcakes are golden.
Serve strawberry shortcakes immediately.